Fresh homemade bread is a wonderful accompaniment to just about any meal.  It tastes amazing, and guests always seem really impressed by it (even though it’s darn easy to make!)  Usually I like to serve more of a plain bread or roll with crack compound herb butter, but this time I decided to try a recipe with the herbs mixed right into the dough.  This recipe was really interesting to me because the method was slightly non-conventional.  You mix up the yeast dough as you normally would, but you don’t knead it.  You don’t transfer it to an oiled bowl to rise – just leave it in the mixing bowl.  Then scoop it into muffin tins, let rise a little longer and bake.  Pretty low maintenance as dinner rolls go.  I also loved the added detail of the fresh herb pressed into the top of each roll.  It provided a nice elegant touch, and made for some lovely rolls.

  • Yield about 18 rolls


4 eggs
2 tsp. salt
4½ tsp. instant (rapid rise) yeast
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup warm milk (105-110˚ F)
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
4 cups bread flour
½ cup mixed chopped fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, chives, thyme, sage, basil, dill, etc.)
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp. milk
Whole fresh herb leaves (for topping)


  • 01

    In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the eggs and salt on medium-high speed until pale yellow and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Mix in the yeast, sugar, milk, melted butter and flour.  Stir until a dough forms.  Beat in the chopped fresh herbs until incorporated.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.

  • 02

    Generously butter 18 muffin cups.  Punch the dough down.  Scoop the batter, dividing it evenly between the prepared muffin cups.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let rise about 45 minutes more, until slightly puffed.

  • 03

    Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Uncover the rolls and brush the tops lightly with the beaten egg mixture.  Gently press a fresh herb leaf into the top of each roll so that it adheres completely.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes.  Let cool in the pan a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. (Note: I had to run a small paring knife around the edge of each roll to get them to release from the pan.) Let cool before serving.